July 23, 2007

BABY'S NAMED A BAD BAD THING

Diana Goodman's collection of real-life disturbing baby names (both proposed, and actually used) is livened by her ability to comment on the names with an air of long-suffering wisdom. While she is snarky, and at times stern, she appears to be able to do this without losing both her sanity and her ability to throw up her hands and scream in fresh ways.

Because a lot of this required alphabetizing BY HAND, ONE AT A TIME, I gained a whole new hatred for many of these names. Jaden and Jaylyn in particular, but just about any name with f*cked-up phonetics - Your mind seriously starts to numb when putting 8,000 long-A sounds in order, trying to sort "ay" from "ai" from "ae" from "ei" when it should just be "a" to begin with. So I apologize in advance if parts of the list are not, um, okkai. But enough about my masochism. I'm also somewhat sadistic, so I'm taking another crack at some names with these "Best Of" pages. Enjoy!

LINK

No comments: